History

The TCA Terminus Chapter held its first meeting on Saturday, September 13, 1969.

 

First called the “Atlanta Train Meet”, the Terminus Chapter was described as a “get-together to meet other train collectors in the Atlanta Area”.

The mission statement from “founding father” and first chapter president, Richard L. MacNary:
 

“The Terminus Chapter provides for the convenient assembly of distant members, the motive for accelerated growth and progress, the incentive for increased collecting efforts and the stimulation of good fellowship through concentrated participation in organized TCA activities.”

 

Back then, the Toy and Model Train Shows were restricted to members only.

Today, The Terminus Chapter's Toy and Model Train Shows are open to the general public.  TCA members, train hobbyists, and train lovers are encouraged to attend and make connections.

The shows include 70 to 80 tables of trains and commonly have in excess of 150 attendees. 

Take a Ride Down Memory Lane

The History

Written by Jack Fulton and shared for the 10th anniversary

Founding Poem

Written by Donna Robinson and shared at the 10th anniversary dinner

Invitation

The 10th Anniversary Dinner Invitation

Official Dates

The summary of founding dates compiled by Gary Gunter

A Brief History of the Terminus Chapter
 

The name Terminus was the first given name for the City of Atlanta way back when since it was the last stop and the end of the line of the old Western & Atlantic Railroad. The Western & Atlantic Railroad was the railroad of the famous General & Texas steam locomotives of the renowned “Great Locomotive Chase”. The Terminus Chapter held its first meeting at the house of Richard MacNary in September of 1969.  Bernis McHugh was an Atlanta store owner who was known as a train gatherer.  Mike Kelly worked for Bernis McHugh while also attending Georgia Tech. Bernis McHugh was famous for his Rolodex file of local train aficionados. He, Richard MacNary, and Jack Fulton all helped to put together a list of fellow train fans in the area and invited them all to attend the first Terminus train meeting at MacNary’s home on September 13, 1969. After a successful meeting, the group decided to hold a second train meeting at Jack Fulton's house on December 6, 1969, where they formalized a petition to become part of the TCA. In January of 1970, this group of Atlanta area train enthusiasts traveled down to Florida for a TCA-Southern Division Train Meet, and they petitioned the division for the founding of the Terminus Chapter.  Their provision was presented to the membership in attendance, voted upon, and approved which formally began the Terminus Chapter of the Train Collectors Association. 

Terminus Chapter Founding Members
  • Richard L. McNary

  • T. Edward Flowers

  • Walter McCleskey

  • W. A. Summerlin

  • Burnis S. McHugh

  • Paul Moore

  • L. A. Denson

  • Dale T. Allen

  • D. M. Kelly

  • James L. Bodeker

  • Jack Fulton

  • Robert Gellerstedt

  • Stewart Robinson

Where We've Been


The Historical List of Terminus Chapter Train Meet Locations, earliest to most recent

  • Richard MacNary’s House, Stone Mountain, GA

  • Jack Fulton’s House, Roswell, GA 

  • Roswell Bank, Roswell, GA

  • Doc Flower’s Barn, Rome, GA

  • Bill Stitt’s House, Chattanooga, TN

  • Stewart Robinson’s House, Duluth, GA

  • Holiday Inn, Birmingham, AL

  • Biltmore Hotel, Atlanta, GA

  • Ramada Inn, Monroe Drive, Atlanta, GA

  • Henderson Mill Elementary, Tucker, GA

  • Georgia Farmers Market, Atlanta, GA

  • Norcross High School, Norcross, GA

  • Meadowcreek High School, Norcross, GA

  • Berkmar High School, Lilburn, GA

  • Cobb County Civic Center, Marietta, GA

  • Southern Polytechnic College, Marietta, GA

  • Sandy Plains Baptist Church, Marietta, GA

  • American Legion Post 201, Alpharetta, GA

  • The Southern Museum of Civil War and Locomotive History, Kennesaw, GA

  • Acworth VFW Post 5408, Acworth, GA

Train Collectors Association History

The TCA was founded in Yardley, Pennsylvania in 1954.  Also in 1954, a group of train collectors met on the West Coast and organized the Western Division of the TCA.  In 1957, the TCA was incorporated as a non-profit under the statutes of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as an authorized 501(c)(3) entity.  The Terminus Chapter is a subsidiary of the Dixie Division of the Train Collectors Association.

TCA Mission Statement

To develop an appreciation of and to preserve an important segment of history - Tinplate Toy Trains - through research, education, community outreach, fellowship, establishment of collecting standards, and to promote the growth and enjoyment of collecting and operating toy, model, and scale trains.

Join Us

If you would like to join the Train Collectors Association, then please download the application and send it along with your payment to the TCA in Strasburg, PA.  

 

By living in the State of Georgia as an active and current TCA member, then you are a member of the Terminus Chapter.  The Terminus Chapter does not require any additional dues from its fellow TCA members to be a Terminus Chapter member.  

 

Your dues are paid for by the Terminus Chapter to the Dixie Division for the attendance of each TCA member for each of our Terminus Chapter Toy and Model Train Shows.  

 

All we ask is that as a current and active TCA member that you please try to participate and attend our Terminus Chapter events.  This attendance and participation is the support that is necessary to provide for the Terminus Chapter.

Periodicals TCA Members Receive

  • Facebook Social Icon

The Terminus Chapter is a subsidiary of the Dixie Division of the Train Collectors Association

© 2018 by Terminus Chapter TCA. All rights reserved.